Some details for the true Fallout fanatics:
- The two-headed Brahmins make a return, and Pete Hines told us after the demo that Rad Scorpions are also coming back.
- The toughest weapon in the game will likely be the Fat Man, a portable launcher that lobs nuclear grenades.
- We’ve seen Super Mutants; as to the existence of the more folky mutants from previous games, Hines would not comment.
- Random encounters are making a return, but Bethesda isn’t ready to say how.
- Action points, used for the turn-based combat mode V.A.T.S., are being designed to regenerate fast enough so that gamers can use it almost exclusively for fighting.
- Speech options and convincing utilizing the Speech are still there, noted by the [ Speech 29% ] tag besides a talking option.
- Computer security will be done via a game best described as akin to Mastermind, where you have a list of words (embedded amongst gibberish “code”) and you will be told how many letters you have right.
- “We spent what I refer to as an obscene amount of time on [the PIP boy menu screen].” said Howard. More pixel shaders used on it than all of Oblivion, apparently.
- You can zoom the third-person view out to give it the camera view akin to the previous Fallout title.