Posted on September 23, 2008 by briosafreak
Want to win Vault Boy puppets or Survival Guides? Joystiq has a giveaway contest just for you:
All we want to know is what perk you would want in real life, whether it’s an actual Fallout perk or something you just made up.[...]
- Leave a comment telling us what perk you would want to have in real life. Be creative and descriptive!
- You must be 18 years or older and a (non-zombie) resident of the US or Canada (excluding Quebec and Megaton).
- Limit 1 entry per person per calendar day (comment more than once and the Brotherhood will pay you a visit).
- This entry period ends at 10:00pm ET on Friday, September 26th. We’ll randomly select three winners at that time to each receive a Vault Boy puppet (valued at approximately $15); two of those will also receive the Vault Dweller’s Survival Guide (approx. $0.15). Please check your e-mail!
For a list of complete rules click here.
Filed under: Entertainment, Fallout 3, Fallout3, News, PAX | Tagged: giveaway, joystiq | Leave a Comment »
Posted on September 5, 2008 by briosafreak
Fallout 3 booth at PAX/Picture Joystiq
Joystiq also played Fallout 3 at PAX, and has an interesting piece to prove it. Here’s a snippet from some quick notes at the end:
- On the topic of sex. “We haven’t pushed the limits with sex,” said Pagliarulo. “We found that the whole adult content thing, we knew we’d have crazy over-the-top violence and have kids in the game, and dealing with attacking them.” Pagliarulo cited Mass Effect as a game where it was important to the story. In Fallout 3, he said, he didn’t want to make sex “a joke and cheesy,” much like excessive profanity (a lot was cut out, apparently). “The closest you come to any of that is renting a room and [a woman] sleeps next to you. It’s implication.” That happens for either gender.
- There are characters you can infer are gay. “We don’t make a big deal out of it,” he said. “To us, they’re people.”
- Here’s an SAT analogy. Computers : Fallout 3 :: Books : Oblivion.
- For more, check out our interview with Executive Producer Todd Howard.
Again thanks to Incognito.
Filed under: Bethesda, Bethsoft, Consoles, Emil Pagliarulo, Entertainment, Fallout 3, Fallout3, News, PAX, PC, PS3, RPG, XBox360 | Tagged: gays are in, joystiq, sex in fallout 3 | 1 Comment »
Posted on September 1, 2008 by briosafreak
Joystiq has an audio interview with Todd Howard:
In an interview with Bethesda executive producer Todd Howard we discussed Fallout 3′s lack of a MOD support and this generation of consoles. While Howard admits the team wants to add support for user generated content he confesses adding the feature — which was included in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion — is a daunting task for a team eager to complete the epic adventure.
Also check their puppet gallery.
Filed under: Bethesda, Bethsoft, Entertainment, Fallout 3, Fallout3, Modding, News, Opinion, PAX, PC, PS3, XBox360 | Tagged: audio interview in mp3, joystiq | Leave a Comment »
Posted on July 31, 2008 by briosafreak
Joystiq gave his Most Satisfyingly Explosive Heads and/or Limbs at E3 Award to Fallout 3:
Oh, how we enjoyed peering at pale heads through our rifle scopes, gently pulling the trigger and watching brain mush (technical term) splatter in every direction. It was the most fun we’ve had at E3 in years.
We also enjoyed the level of violence on display in Bethesda’s Fallout 3, by the way.
Filed under: Bethesda, Bethsoft, Entertainment, Fallout 3, Fallout3, News | Tagged: joystiq | Leave a Comment »
Posted on July 21, 2008 by briosafreak
You can listen to an interview with Todd Howard at Joystiq, a few points that are discussed:
- Fallout 1 and 2 both contained a lot of humor… but will Fallout 3 have any? Yes. Although they won’t be breaking the fourth wall like the other games did.
- What’s the exploding pants achievement? You can sneak up to unsuspecting mutants and drop a grenade in their pants. Why isn’t this in other games?
- Interplay worked on this game for a long time, did Bethesda end up keeping anything? No. However, they did have a playable build of the original F3, which you can find here in all its bug-laden glory.
- Interplay is developing the MMO, and Bethesda has approval over everything. It’s a strange reversal of licenses and fortunes.[...]
- Will this game appease Oblivion fans? “If they’re mainly into swords and elves, I don’t think they’ll like it.”
- When the Bethesda folks finish a game, they have a contest to see who can run through all the main quests in the fastest time. The winner gets a pie of their choosing. Can we instigate this policy at Joystiq?
- They considered doing dual-wielding, but the trouble is that you have to then add two animations, one for each weapon. It might make an appearance in their next game.
- Did they think about calling it something besides Fallout 3? Like, Fallout: Origins? They did, but Howard is “not a fan of that… I like Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3. It didn’t hurt Grand Theft Auto 3, did it?”
There’s more, head for Joystiq for the rest.
Filed under: Bethesda, Bethsoft, E3, Entertainment, Fallout 3, Fallout3, News, Todd Howard | Tagged: audio interview with todd howard, joystiq | Leave a Comment »
Posted on July 16, 2008 by briosafreak
Posted on July 15, 2008 by briosafreak
If you call the Vault-Tec toll free hotline at 1-888-4-VAULTTEC (dang novelty 800 numbers!), you’ll be stuck on immediate hold and told there are 101,000,000 callers in front of you … which leads to an extremely long hold time. In fact, a mutant voice lets you know it’s about 78,643 hours (unless we’re hearing it wrong). We checked back to see if it’s counting down, and it doesn’t seem to be.
Any hackers out there with Rain Man-like number skillz who want to try and decode what this could possibly mean for Fallout 3?
They have a video with a call to the number.
Filed under: Bethesda, Bethsoft, Entertainment, Fallout 3, Fallout3, News | Tagged: joystiq, toll free number, vault-tec | Leave a Comment »
Posted on May 29, 2008 by briosafreak
Pete Hines gets back to the no mandatory installation issue on the PS3, now at Joystiq:
It’s a sentiment echoed by the developers at Bethesda, as the company recently let slip that the PS3 version of its radioactive RPG Fallout 3 will not include any upfront installation at all.
“The answer to that is no, there isn’t,” Bethesda marketing guru Pete Hines recently told Joystiq concerning Fallout 3 on the PS3. “That doesn’t mean we don’t use the hard drive, just that it does it in the background as opposed to a large, upfront install.” As far as how much hard drive space the game will require, the exec wouldn’t say exactly.
Hines did mention that the RPG will require “a similar amount” of HD space as Oblivion, making us expect to fill up the PS3′s juicy interior with about 4-5 gigs of atom-splitting data when the game ships this fall.
Filed under: Bethesda, Bethsoft, Entertainment, Fallout 3, Fallout3, News, Pete Hines, PS3 | Tagged: instalation on ps3, joystiq, sony | Leave a Comment »